Nothing hits the spot like a big slice of pizza. The problem is that there are so many yummy toppings to choose from, that it’s hard to make up my mind! And I haven’t even gotten to the crust options yet- thin crust, thick crust, cheese inside the crust, or Chicago deep dish? Decisions, decisions.
Sometimes all I want is something basic, with the classic ingredients of fresh cheese, basil, and tomatoes. I’m looking at you, margherita pizza!
After I get home from work, I am usually too tired to make pizza dough from scratch. So, I use the next best thing: naan. Naan is an Indian flatbread, and nowadays you can find it at most grocery stores. A slice of naan makes a great base for pizza toppings and is the perfect size for a personal pan pizza.
Enjoy your Margherita Naan Pizza!
Margherita Naan Pizza notes:
-If you’re in a hurry, use ready-made spaghetti sauce to make this naan pizza instead!
- 4 pieces of garlic Naan (if unavailable, can use plain Naan)
- 1 can (14 oz) whole peeled tomatoes (we used San Marzano brand)
- fresh mozzarella, sliced into thin rounds (can also use shredded mozzarella)
- sea salt, to taste
- 20 chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the tomatoes and sea salt in a food processor to make tomato sauce.
- Spoon a thin layer of tomato sauce onto the pieces of naan (if you add too much sauce, the bread will become soggy).
- Top the naan with slices of mozzarella, slivers of garlic, and basil leaves.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake until the naan crust turns golden brown (approx 10 minutes). Feel free to garnish with a few more basil leaves, Parmesan cheese, or crushed red pepper before eating!